- Presumed to be true or real without conclusive evidence. (adjective)
- Intended: medication that is supposed to relieve pain. (adjective)
- Required: He is supposed to go to the store. (adjective)
- Permitted: We are not supposed to smoke here. (adjective)
- Firmly believed; expected: You're supposed to be my friend. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.