- An account or recital of an event or a series of events, either true or fictitious, as: (noun)
- An account or report regarding the facts of an event or group of events: The witness changed her story under questioning. (noun)
- An anecdote: came back from the trip with some good stories. (noun)
- A lie: told us a story about the dog eating the cookies. (noun)
- A usually fictional prose or verse narrative intended to interest or amuse the hearer or reader; a tale. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.