- To make free from live bacteria or other microorganisms. (verb-transitive)
- To deprive (a person or an animal) of the ability to produce offspring, as by removing the reproductive organs. (verb-transitive)
- To make incapable of bearing fruit or germinating. (verb-transitive)
- To render (land) unfruitful. (verb-transitive)
- Economics To place (gold) in safekeeping so as not to affect the supply of money or credit. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.