- To spit out or spray particles of saliva or food from the mouth in noisy bursts. (verb-intransitive)
- To spit out words or sounds in an excited or confused manner. (verb-intransitive)
- To make sporadic spitting or popping sounds: The fire sputtered and died. (verb-intransitive)
- Physics To cause the atoms of a solid to be removed from the surface by bombardment with atoms in a discharge tube. (verb-intransitive)
- To eject in short bursts with spitting or popping sounds. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.