- A thin piece split off from a larger piece; a splinter. (noun)
- A rigid device used to prevent motion of a joint or of the ends of a fractured bone. (noun)
- A dental appliance put on the teeth to protect them from grinding or from moving out of place. (noun)
- A thin, flexible wooden strip, such as one used in the making of baskets or chair bottoms. (noun)
- A plate or strip of metal. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.