- A group of persons or things of the same general character; a kind. (noun)
- Character or nature: books of all sorts. (noun)
- One that exemplifies the characteristics of or serves a similar function to another: "A large dinner-party ... made a sort of general introduction for her to the society of the neighbourhood” ( George Eliot). (noun)
- A person; an individual: The clerk is a decent sort. (noun)
- A way of acting or behaving. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.