- To break (something) into pieces suddenly, noisily, and violently; shatter. See Synonyms at break. (verb-transitive)
- To throw or dash (something) violently so as to shatter or crush. See Synonyms at crush. (verb-transitive)
- To strike with a heavy blow; batter. (verb-transitive)
- Sports To hit (a ball or shuttlecock) in a forceful overhand stroke. (verb-transitive)
- To crush or destroy completely: smashed all resistance. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.