- To cut or form by cutting with forceful sweeping strokes: slash a path through the underbrush. (verb-transitive)
- To lash with sweeping strokes. (verb-transitive)
- To make a gash or gashes in. (verb-transitive)
- Sports To swing a stick at (an opponent) in ice hockey or lacrosse, in violation of the rules. (verb-transitive)
- To cut a slit or slits in, especially so as to reveal an underlying color: slash a sleeve. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.