- The way in which something is positioned vis-à-vis its surroundings. (noun)
- The place in which something is situated; a location. (noun)
- Position or status with regard to conditions and circumstances. (noun)
- The combination of circumstances at a given moment; a state of affairs. See Synonyms at state. (noun)
- A critical, problematic, or striking set of circumstances. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.