- A piece of broken pottery, especially one found in an archaeological dig; a potsherd. (noun)
- A fragment of a brittle substance, as of glass or metal. (noun)
- A small piece or part: "shards of intense emotional relationships that once existed” ( Maggie Scarf). (noun)
- Zoology A tough sheath or covering, such as a shell, scale, or plate. (noun)
- Zoology The elytron or outer wing covering of a beetle. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.