- A metal fastening, usually one of a pair, for encircling and confining the ankle or wrist of a prisoner or captive; a fetter or manacle. (noun)
- A hobble for an animal. (noun)
- Any of several devices, such as a clevis, used to fasten or couple. (noun)
- A restraint or check to action or progress. Often used in the plural: economic shackles that precluded further investment. (noun)
- To confine with shackles; fetter. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.