- Grave in quality or manner: gave me a serious look. (adjective)
- Carried out in earnest: engaged in serious drinking; serious study of Italian. (adjective)
- Deeply interested or involved: a serious card player. (adjective)
- Designed for and addressing grave and earnest tastes: serious art; serious music. (adjective)
- Not trifling or jesting: I'm serious: we expect you to complete the assignment on time. Her question was serious enough to deserve a thoughtful response. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.