- To char, scorch, or burn the surface of with or as if with a hot instrument. See Synonyms at burn1. (verb-transitive)
- To cause to dry up and wither. (verb-transitive)
- To become withered or dried up. (verb-intransitive)
- A condition, such as a scar, produced by searing. (noun)
- The catch in a gunlock that keeps the hammer halfcocked or fully cocked. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.