- The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena. (noun)
- Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena. (noun)
- Such activities applied to an object of inquiry or study. (noun)
- Methodological activity, discipline, or study: I've got packing a suitcase down to a science. (noun)
- An activity that appears to require study and method: the science of purchasing. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.