- Botany A leafless flower stalk growing directly from the ground, as in the tulip. (noun)
- Biology A stalklike part, such as a feather shaft or a segment of an insect's antenna. (noun)
- Architecture The shaft of a column. (noun)
- Archaic Variant of escape. (verb)
- A scene; a view. Often used in combination: seascape; mindscape. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.