- A bag filled with sand and used as ballast, in the formation of protective walls, or as a weapon. (noun)
- To put sandbags in or around. (verb-transitive)
- To hit with a sandbag. (verb-transitive)
- Slang To treat severely or unjustly. (verb-transitive)
- Slang To force by crude means; coerce: sandbagged us into cleaning up their mess. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.