- Being the very one; identical: the same boat we rented before. (adjective)
- Similar in kind, quality, quantity, or degree. (adjective)
- Conforming in every detail: according to the same rules as before. (adjective)
- Being the one previously mentioned or indicated; aforesaid. (adjective)
- In the same way: The words sale and sail are pronounced the same. (adverb)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.