- A red or pink cosmetic for coloring the cheeks or lips. (noun)
- A reddish powder, chiefly ferric oxide, used to polish metals or glass. (noun)
- To put rouge onto: rouged her cheeks. (verb-transitive)
- To color or prettify as if with a facial cosmetic: "Their job is to rouge up the war . . . to turn the horror into cheering press releases” ( Richard Corliss). (verb-transitive)
- To use rouge. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.