- Strictness or severity, as in temperament, action, or judgment. (noun)
- A harsh or trying circumstance; hardship. See Synonyms at difficulty. (noun)
- A harsh or cruel act. (noun)
- Medicine Shivering or trembling, as caused by a chill. (noun)
- Physiology A state of rigidity in living tissues or organs that prevents response to stimuli. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.