- To have recourse: The government resorted to censorship of the press. (verb-intransitive)
- To go customarily or frequently; repair. (verb-intransitive)
- A place frequented by people for relaxation or recreation: a ski resort. (noun)
- A customary or frequent going or gathering: a popular place of resort. (noun)
- The act of turning to for aid or relief; recourse: raised the money without resort to borrowing. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.