- Being or occurring in fact or actuality; having verifiable existence: real objects; a real illness. (adjective)
- True and actual; not imaginary, alleged, or ideal: real people, not ghosts; a film based on real life. (adjective)
- Of or founded on practical matters and concerns: a recent graduate experiencing the real world for the first time. (adjective)
- Genuine and authentic; not artificial or spurious: real mink; real humility. (adjective)
- Being no less than what is stated; worthy of the name: a real friend. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.