- Having a homogeneous or uniform composition; not mixed: pure oxygen. (adjective)
- Free from adulterants or impurities: pure chocolate. (adjective)
- Free of dirt, defilement, or pollution: "A memory without blot or contamination must be . . . an inexhaustible source of pure refreshment” ( Charlotte Brontë). (adjective)
- Free of foreign elements. (adjective)
- Containing nothing inappropriate or extraneous: a pure literary style. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.