- Law To initiate civil or criminal court action against. (verb-transitive)
- Law To seek to obtain or enforce by legal action. (verb-transitive)
- To pursue (an undertaking, for example) until completion; follow to the very end. (verb-transitive)
- To chase or pursue (a vessel): "He held a dispatch saying that [they] had prosecuted and probably killed an Echo-class missile submarine” ( Tom Clancy). (verb-transitive)
- To carry on, engage in, or practice. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.