- A declaration assuring that one will or will not do something; a vow. (noun)
- Something promised. (noun)
- Indication of something favorable to come; expectation: a promise of spring in the air. (noun)
- Indication of future excellence or success: a player of great promise. (noun)
- To commit oneself by a promise to do or give; pledge: left but promised to return. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.