- Of, relating to, governed by, or acquired through practice or action, rather than theory, speculation, or ideals: gained practical experience of sailing as a deck hand. (adjective)
- Manifested in or involving practice: practical applications of calculus. (adjective)
- Actually engaged in a specified occupation or a certain kind of work; practicing. (adjective)
- Capable of or suitable to being used or put into effect; useful: practical knowledge of Japanese. See Usage Note at practicable. (adjective)
- Concerned with the production or operation of something useful: Woodworking is a practical art. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.