- A small compartment or recess, as in a desk, for holding papers; a cubbyhole. (noun)
- A specific, often oversimplified category. (noun)
- The small hole or holes in a pigeon loft for nesting. (noun)
- To place or file in a small compartment or recess. (verb-transitive)
- To classify mentally; categorize. (verb-transitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.