- A thing considered as a unit or an element of a larger thing, quantity, or class; a portion: a piece of string. (noun)
- A portion or part that has been separated from a whole: a piece of cake. (noun)
- An object that is one member of a group or class: a piece of furniture. (noun)
- An artistic, musical, or literary work or composition: "They are lively and well-plotted pieces, both in prose” ( Tucker Brooke). (noun)
- An instance; a specimen: a piece of sheer folly. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.