- A visual representation or image painted, drawn, photographed, or otherwise rendered on a flat surface. (noun)
- A visible image, especially one on a flat surface or screen: the picture reflected in the lake; focused the picture on the movie screen. (noun)
- A vivid or realistic verbal description: a Shakespearean picture of guilt. (noun)
- A vivid mental image. (noun)
- A person or object bearing a marked resemblance to another: She's the picture of her mother. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.