- A model or original used as an archetype. (noun)
- A person or thing considered worthy of imitation. (noun)
- A plan, diagram, or model to be followed in making things: a dress pattern. See Synonyms at ideal. (noun)
- A representative sample; a specimen. (noun)
- An artistic or decorative design: a paisley pattern. See Synonyms at figure. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.