- Used to express strong emotion, such as surprise, fear, anger, or pain. (interjection)
- Used in direct address: Oh, sir! You forgot your keys. (interjection)
- Used to indicate understanding or acknowledgment of a statement. (interjection)
- Zero. (noun)
- An exclamation expressive of surprise, pain, pleasure, etc (exclamation)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- An expression used to preface a remark, gain time, etc
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016