- The act of causing anger, resentment, displeasure, or affront. (noun)
- The state of being offended. (noun)
- A violation or infraction of a moral or social code; a transgression or sin. (noun)
- A transgression of law; a crime. (noun)
- Something that outrages moral sensibilities: Genocide is an offense to all civilized humans. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.