- A solemn, formal declaration or promise to fulfill a pledge, often calling on God, a god, or a sacred object as witness. (noun)
- The words or formula of such a declaration or promise. (noun)
- Something declared or promised. (noun)
- An irreverent or blasphemous use of the name of God or something held sacred. (noun)
- An imprecation; a curse. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.