- Near in time, place, or relationship: Evening draws nigh. (adverb)
- Nearly; almost: talked for nigh onto two hours. (adverb)
- Being near in time, place, or relationship; close. See Synonyms at close. (adjective)
- Being on the left side of an animal or vehicle: pulling hard on the nigh rein. (adjective)
- Being the animal or vehicle on the left: the nigh horse. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.