- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a monastery. Used often of monks and nuns. (adjective)
- Resembling life in a monastery in style, structure, or manner, especially: (adjective)
- Secluded and contemplative. (adjective)
- Strictly disciplined or regimented. (adjective)
- Self-abnegating; austere. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.