- To change in form or character; alter. (verb-transitive)
- To make less extreme, severe, or strong: refused to modify her stand on the issue. (verb-transitive)
- Grammar To qualify or limit the meaning of. For example, summer modifies day in the phrase a summer day. (verb-transitive)
- Linguistics To change (a vowel) by umlaut. (verb-transitive)
- To be or become modified; change. (verb-intransitive)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.