- The maximum: The car can seat five adults, but that's the max. (noun)
- Maximal. (adjective)
- Maximally: We'll pay $250 max. (adverb)
- To reach one's limit, as of endurance or capability: The weightlifter maxed out at 180 kilograms. (verb-intransitive)
- To reach a point from which no additional growth, improvement, or benefit is possible: The salary for this position maxes at $45,000. (verb-intransitive)
- The most significant, highest, furthest, or greatest thing (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016