- The substance or substances out of which a thing is or can be made. (noun)
- Something, such as an idea or information, that is to be refined and made or incorporated into a finished effort: material for a comedy. (noun)
- Tools or apparatus for the performance of a given task: writing materials. (noun)
- Yard goods or cloth. (noun)
- A person who is qualified or suited for a position or activity: The members of the board felt that she was vice-presidential material. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.