- Not fastened, restrained, or contained: loose bricks. (adjective)
- Not taut, fixed, or rigid: a loose anchor line; a loose chair leg. (adjective)
- Free from confinement or imprisonment; unfettered: criminals loose in the neighborhood; dogs that are loose on the streets. (adjective)
- Not tight-fitting or tightly fitted: loose shoes. (adjective)
- Not bound, bundled, stapled, or gathered together: loose papers. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.