- A land mass, especially one smaller than a continent, entirely surrounded by water. (noun)
- Something resembling an island, especially in being isolated or surrounded, as: (noun)
- An unattached kitchen counter providing easy access from all sides. (noun)
- A raised curbed area, often used to delineate rows of parking spaces or lanes of traffic. (noun)
- The superstructure of a ship, especially an aircraft carrier. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.