- A power affecting a person, thing, or course of events, especially one that operates without any direct or apparent effort: relaxed under the influence of the music; the influence of television on modern life. (noun)
- Power to sway or affect based on prestige, wealth, ability, or position: used her parent's influence to get the job. (noun)
- A person who exerts influence: My parents considered my friend to be a bad influence on me. (noun)
- An effect or change produced by influence. (noun)
- A determining factor believed by some to affect individual tendencies and characteristics understood to be caused by the positions of the stars and planets at the time of one's birth. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.