Definition of "individual" [in•di•vid•u•al]
- (adjective) Of or relating to an individual, especially a single human: individual consciousness.
- (adjective) By or for one person: individual work; an individual portion.
- (adjective) Existing as a distinct entity; separate: individual drops of rain.
- (adjective) Marked by or expressing individuality; distinctive or individualistic: an individual way of dressing.
- (adjective) Special; particular: Each variety of melon has its individual flavor and texture.
Use "individual" in a sentence
- "If they are parts of an individual, plants also are subject to considerable changes during their _individual_ lives."
- "'Although there exists nothing IN NATURE except individual bodies, exhibiting distinct individual _effects, according to individual_"
- "But because the will has here become individual it must be deceived in such a manner for it to discern by the sense of the _individual_ what the sense of the species has presented to it; in other words, imagine it is pursuing ends concerning the individual, when in reality it is pursuing merely general ends (using the word general in its strictest sense)."