- A reproduction of the form of a person or object, especially a sculptured likeness. (noun)
- Physics An optically formed duplicate, counterpart, or other representative reproduction of an object, especially an optical reproduction formed by a lens or mirror. (noun)
- One that closely or exactly resembles another; a double: He is the image of his uncle. (noun)
- The opinion or concept of something that is held by the public. (noun)
- The character projected to the public, as by a person or institution, especially as interpreted by the mass media. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.