- An image; a representation. (noun)
- A representation or picture of a sacred or sanctified Christian personage, traditionally used and venerated in the Eastern Church. (noun)
- An important and enduring symbol: "Voyager will take its place ... alongside such icons of airborne adventure as The Spirit of St. Louis and [the] Bell X-1” ( William D. Marbach). (noun)
- One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol: "He is ... a pop icon designed and manufactured for the video generation” ( Harry F. Waters). (noun)
- Computer Science A picture on a screen that represents a specific file, directory, window, option, or program. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.