Definition of "hue" [hue]
- (noun) The property of colors by which they can be perceived as ranging from red through yellow, green, and blue, as determined by the dominant wavelength of the light. See Table at color.
- (noun) A particular gradation of color; a shade or tint.
- (noun) Color: all the hues of the rainbow.
- (noun) Appearance; aspect: a man of somber hue.
- (noun) the attribute of colour that enables an observer to classify it as red, green, blue, purple, etc, and excludes white, black, and shades of grey
- (noun) a shade of a colour
- (noun) aspect; complexion
Use "hue" in a sentence
- "IV. ii.99 (462,8) Coal-black is better than another hue,/In that it seems to bear another hue] We may better read, _In that it_ scorns _to bear another hue_."
- "Onlookers are speculating that the change in hue is calculated to appease the Party’s right-wing members, coming at a time when party leader David Cameron’s authority has been under attack."
- "You made me laugh and it threw off a certain ... hue ..."