- An association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards. (noun)
- A similar association, as of merchants or artisans, in medieval times. (noun)
- Ecology A group of diverse species, especially animal species, that occupy a common niche in a given community, characterized by exploitation of environmental resources in the same way. (noun)
- An organization, club, or fellowship (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- (esp in medieval Europe) an association of men sharing the same interests, such as merchants or artisans: formed for mutual aid and protection and to maintain craft standards or pursue some other purpose such as communal worship (noun)
- A group of plants, such as a group of epiphytes, that share certain habits or characteristics (noun)
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016