- Large and impressive in size, scope, or extent; magnificent: The bridge that crosses the bay is a grand structure. (adjective)
- Rich and sumptuous: A grand meal was laid before them. (adjective)
- Of a solemn, stately, or splendid nature. (adjective)
- Dignified or noble in appearance or effect: a grand old face that bespeaks suffering but not defeat. (adjective)
- Noble or admirable in conception or intent: a grand purpose. (adjective)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.