- Used to express an acknowledgment of parting. (interjection)
- An acknowledgment at parting, especially by saying "goodbye.” (noun)
- An act of parting or leave-taking: many sad goodbyes. (noun)
- Farewell: a conventional expression used at leave-taking or parting with people and at the loss or rejection of things or ideas (sentence-substitute)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A leave-taking; parting (noun)
- A farewell (noun)
www.Collinsdictionary.com (c) HarperCollins Publishers Ltd 2016