- To cover with or as if with a thin layer of gold. (verb-transitive)
- To give an often deceptively attractive or improved appearance to. (verb-transitive)
- Archaic To smear with blood. (verb-transitive)
- Gild the lily To adorn unnecessarily something already beautiful. (idiom)
- Gild the lily To make superfluous additions to what is already complete. (idiom)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.