- An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games. (noun)
- A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules: the game of basketball; the game of gin rummy. (noun)
- A single instance of such an activity: We lost the first game. (noun)
- An organized athletic program or contest: track-and-field games; took part in the winter games. (noun)
- A period of competition or challenge: It was too late in the game to change the schedule of the project. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.