- Forming or occurring at the end; last: the final scene of a film. (adjective)
- Of or constituting the end result of a succession or process; ultimate: an act with both an immediate and a final purpose. (adjective)
- Not to be changed or reconsidered; unalterable: The judge's decision is final. See Synonyms at last1. (adjective)
- Something that comes at or forms the end, especially: (noun)
- The last or one of the last of a series of contests: the finals of a state spelling bee. (noun)
American Heritage(R) Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright (c) 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.